Australian Consulate-General
Hong Kong
Also accredited to Macau

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

HomeVisas and Citizenship English | 中文  



1. How long does it take to process my application?

Global visa processing times will be updated monthly, providing you with an indicative timeframe for processing applications. Processing times are available for the majority of visa subclasses and citizenship products, but will exclude a few subclasses. Please refer to the Home Affairs website for further details:

Note: If your application is currently being processed and it is within the standard time frame, an enquiry on the status will NOT be responded to. We endeavour to process all applications as soon as possible based on the declared departure dates on the applications.  We are however unable to guarantee that all of these dates can be met.  Applicants are advised not to make irreversible travel plans before receiving confirmation of their visa approval.

[ back to top ]

2. If my application was refused can I request a reconsideration of that decision?

Please note that once a decision has been made on an application it cannot be reviewed or changed by the Department. You should refer to your decision letter as it will clarify whether you have any review rights with an external body or Tribunal.

Any new visa application lodged will be considered on its merits and additional information provided with the application will be taken into account. You should, however, carefully consider that the decision may not be different if the application does not contain new information.

[ back to top ]

3. Can I apply for this visa?

The onus is completely on the applicant to determine his/her own eligibility for a visa application based on information available on the departmental website.  Our department cannot provide specific advice or guidance on this matter.  We are also unable to provide assessments on an applicant’s circumstances prior to the lodgement of an application.  If assistance is required in preparation for an application, the applicant may consider consulting a migration agent.

[ back to top ]

4. Can I enquire the status of an application on behalf of others?

Due to the Privacy Act, our department is unable to disclose specific information on a visa application to an unauthorised third party.  The person should contact our department in person to enquire further about his/her own visa status.

[ back to top ]

5. How can I update my passport information?

If you already hold a visa and need to change your passport details you can notify us by one of the following methods:

  • Online through your ImmiAccount
  • Complete 'Change of address and/or passport details' Form 929 and email it to [email protected].

[ back to top ]

6. Can I travel to Australia while my Permanent visa application is being processed?

While waiting for the decision of a Permanent Visa application, the applicant is not precluded from visiting Australia temporarily on another temporary visa.  You must apply for an appropriate visa based on your intended purpose of visit.  Please refer to our website for information on your visa options.

[ back to top ]

7. Should I obtain a police clearance before I apply for a visa?

Applicants are NOT required to obtain the Hong Kong Police Check prior to lodging a visa application.  If it is determine that you are required to obtain the check after assessing your application, a referral letter will be sent to you by the processing office.

For Partner visa applications, since the validity of the check is usually only 12 months, our office only invites the applicants to obtain the Police Check when it is closer to the decision.

[ back to top ]

8. Can I visit the Consulate to discuss my visa application?

Since the opening of the Australian Visa Application Centre, the visa office at the Consulate is no longer open to public.  Unless invited by the case officer for an interview, the applicant is not required to visit our office.

For applicants who have not lodged an application, our office will NOT be able to provide any advice or guidance to applicants prior to lodging an application.  The applicant should refer to the departmental website for information necessary for lodging an application.  If further assistance is required, the applicant may consider consulting a migration agent or contact the Australia Visa Application Centre.

[ back to top ]

9. What should I do if I lost my Citizenship certificate or wish to amend personal details on my Citizenship Certificate?

Evidences of Australian Citizenship for Australian citizens residing in Hong Kong are processed by the Overseas Citizenship Unit.  All requests should be sent directly to their office as per the instructions on the website.

If you need to replace your Evidence of Australian citizenship, or you wish to amend your personal details, you can refer to the following page on our departmental website for more specific instructions:

[ back to top ]

10. How can I make enquiries about applications that are NOT processed by the Australian visa office in Hong Kong?

Certain online visa applications are NOT processed by the Hong Kong Office and we are unable to respond to enquiries regarding these applications.  

Please refer to our website for visas that are processed here in Hong Kong:
Visa and Citizenship

If you wish to contact the relevant area regarding a visa NOT processed by our office in Hong Kong, please use the Immigration Enquiry Form:

[ back to top ]

11. Where can I get my biometrics taken if it is required for a visa application?

11. Where can I get my biometrics taken if it is required for a visa application?

You will need to provide your biometrics at an Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC) or an Australian Biometrics Collection Centre (ABCC) if you apply:

  • for a visa that is part of the biometrics program
  • from a country that is part of our biometrics program

You can:

  • submit your visa application in person at the AVAC and provide your biometrics while you are there
  • apply online or by post. If we send you a letter to let you know we want your biometrics you must come into the AVAC or ABCC so we can collect them.

For more information on biometrics, please visit:

[ back to top ]

Page Last Updated: 19 June 2023