|Home > Visas and Citizenship||English | 中文|
Information for visitors seeking to travel with their domestic helper
Applicants who are domestic helpers from HK, Macau or Taiwan wanting to accompany their employer (who is based outside Australia) on a short visit to Australia should apply for a subclass 600 Visitor (Business stream) visa. If granted, this visa will generally allow a single entry into Australia with a maximum stay of 6 weeks. This visa cannot be extended.
Consideration will generally be given for the approval of only one domestic helper (under your employment) to accompany you and your family's visit to Australia at any given time. This domestic helper must have been under your employment for at least six months and should travel on the same itinerary. Approval will generally not be granted for domestic helpers intending to accompany their employer to Australia while the employer resettles in, or permanently returns to, Australia.
In assessing applications made by domestic helpers the following is considered:
- whether the domestic staff member is integral to their employer's household and any related family unit
- any cultural reasons the employer/family has for bringing the domestic staff member with them
- any special needs and reasons why such care may not be obtained in Australia
- that the employer will accept all financial responsibility for the domestic staff member during the proposed visit
- the frequency and stay periods of any previous visits
Applicants are encouraged to apply online through ImmiAccount.
Scanned images or photos of the following documents should be uploaded digitally as you complete the online visa application. These include:
- Passport (biographical data page) of the visa applicant
- Evidence of the applicant’s current Hong Kong visa
- Current employment contact
- Passport (biographical data page) of the applicant’s employer
An additional information (for employers to complete) form should also be completed and uploaded during lodgement of the visa application.
Biometric collection – following lodgement of the application, the applicant will be sent a letter informing them that they need to attend the Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC) in person to provide their biometrics. Appointments for biometric collection services at the AVAC are mandatory. Click here for further details.
To apply please click here.
Page Last Updated: 13 July 2022