Australian Consulate-General
Hong Kong
Also accredited to Macau


HomeVisas and Citizenship English | 中文  

Transit visa (subclass 771) 

Transit visas are for people who wish to transit Australia for periods of up to 72 hours. If you are transiting Australia for less than 8 hours, remaining in the transit lounge at an airport, and you are travelling on a passport which has access to the direct transit arrangements (including holders of HKSAR passports and BNO passports) you do not require a visa to transit Australia, UNLESS you are transiting to an airline which does not have airside facilities (e.g. Pacific Blue), in which case you WILL require a transit visa.

Note, currently, HK Document of Identity (HK D of I) and Macau Passport and Travel Permit holders DO require transit visas irrespective of the duration of the transit.
HKSAR, BN(O) and Taiwanese passport holders may, as an alternative, obtain an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) instead of a transit visa.

To apply

Applications for the Transit (subclass 771) visa must be lodged online. To apply please click here

Further Information

For further information on Transit Visa, click here.


Page Last Updated: 26 October 2018