Australian Consulate-General
Hong Kong
Also accredited to Macau

Notarial Services: Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage

Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage 

This services is available by Appointment only.  Please select Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage on the booking page.  If you select the wrong service, we may not be able to help at your appointment time. More information, including booking policy, is available here.

Book an appointment with Australian Consulate-General Hong Kong using SetMore

If you're going overseas to get married, you may need a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage  (CNI). Authorities overseas may ask for a CNI to prove you’re free to marry.

The signed CNI application form is a legal declaration by a person that they are free to marry, equivalent of a Commonwealth statutory declaration.

At least one person applying for the CNI must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident. You must ask an authority from your destination if you need a CNI, however we are not currently aware of any Hong Kong Government or Macau Government requirement for a CNI to enable an Australian Citizen to marry in Hong Kong or Macau.

When submitting an application, please provide documentary evidence of your date of birth, nationality, Australian residency and, if either party is divorced or widowed, the relevant decree absolute or death certificate.  Application forms and information are available by clicking the link Certificates of No Impediment (CNI) to Marriage | Smartraveller

Please note that if there is any doubt that your intended marriage will be recognised by Australian authorities, you should consult a lawyer as Consular Officers are unable to determine that on your behalf.

Please allow two standard business working days for collection of a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage.