The Australian Consulate-General and is open between 9:00am and 5:00pm, Monday to Friday, excluding some Hong Kong and Australian public holidays. Passport and notarial services are by appointment only.
Contact information is available here.
If you require assistance outside of business hours, you can call the Consular Emergency Centre, (operational 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) by the following telephone numbers:
- Australian Consulate-General Hong Kong: 2827 8881 and follow the prompts or
- International call to Canberra in Australia: +612 6261 3305
We welcome feedback on our consular, notarial and passport services here.
While we will do what we can to help Australians in difficulty overseas, there are legal and practical limits to what help we may be able to provide. The Consular Services Charter outlines the consular services and assistance provided by the Australian Government. In some circumstanes, our assistance may be limited.
We can provide consular assistance to Australians in both Hong Kong SAR and Macau SAR. For mainland China you will need to contact one of our missions in China.
Smartraveller has the latest, authoritative travel advice so you can be informed and prepared about overseas travel.
Visit www.smartraveller.gov.au to subscribe and receive travel advice updates to your inbox, or to connect with Smartraveller on social media channels.
You can also follow the Consulate on Facebook and Twitter for critical alerts.
Smartraveller is also available in traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese.
Australians in Hong Kong and Macau
Services offered by the Consulate in Hong Kong and Macau
- Consular Visits to Macau
- Notarial services
- Visas and citizenship
- Feedback on services (excluding visas and citizenship)
Other services for Australians living overseas
- Drivers licence renewal outside of Australia (Driver License Issuing Authorities in Australia)
- Drivers licence – international permit
- Marriages overseas
- Births, Deaths and Marriages Registering Authorities in Australia
- APEC Card
- Police clearances from Australia
- Tax Returns in Australia (Australian Taxation Office)
- Benefits and payments while overseas
Local services for Australians in Hong Kong and Macau
- Australian Association
- Australian Chamber of Commerce Hong Kong (AustCham Hong Kong)
- Australian Chamber of Commerce Macau (AustCham Macau)
- Counselling Services in Hong Kong
- Driving in Hong Kong for residents and visitors
- Funeral homes in Hong Kong and Macau (PDF)
- Hospitals in Hong Kong (Private)
- Hospitals in Hong Kong (Public)
- Hospitals in Macau (Public and Private)
- Lawyers in Hong Kong (The Law Society of Hong Kong)
- List of Law Firms Volunteered to Provide Initial Free Legal Consultation (The Law Society of Hong Kong)
- Lawyers in Macau (PDF)
- Translators in Hong Kong (PDF)
- accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) in Australia
- Lost and stolen property in Hong Kong and Macau
- Medical Evacuations from Macau to Hong Kong
- Visa applications and extensions for Hong Kong
- Visa applications and extensions for Macau
- War Graves of Australians in Hong Kong (PDF)
- Voting overseas advice - Smartraveller
- Australian Electoral Commission (AEC)
- State Electoral Offices in Australia
Returning to Australia